Simple steps to a healthy septic system
- Remember the 3 P’S!
Pee… Poop… Paper
The only things that should go into a septic tank!
- Locate your septic tank and leach field. Keep a drawing of these locations.
- Pump your septic tank as needed; generally every two years or less.
- Don’t dispose of household hazardous wastes in sinks or toilets.
- Keep other household items, such as dental floss, feminine hygiene products, condoms, diapers and cat litter, fats, oils, grease, cigarette butts, paints etc. out of your system.
- Use water in moderation
- Plant only grass over and near your septic system. Roots from trees or shrubs may clog and damage the system.
- Keep vehicles off your septic system unless it was constructed for vehicle traffic.
- Keep gutters, sump pump and well water filtration systems from draining into or near your septic system.
- Check with local health department before using any additives. Additives do not eliminate the need for regular pumping.